Skip to main content

CST 361S - Week 3

Library Training

This week, I spent 4 hours attending my first library computer skills class and going over teaching materials used in these classes. 

Computers 2 SD Kids has a program where they travel to public libraries across San Diego and hold two hour long sessions teaching attendees on basic computer skills and knowledge, such as word processing, how to use a keyboard properly, searching the web for information, and common Internet safety tips that every computer user should know such as dealing with phishing emails and suspicious ads/pop ups that still appear occasionally. After attending the class, attendees qualify for a free desktop computer from the warehouse, and are eligible for internet service through Cox's subsidized monthly program, Connect2Compete, if they do not already have access at home. 

Most of the attendees of the class were recent immigrants to the United States from Africa, and most them had very little experience in using a desktop computer before or knowing how to search the Internet. I sat down and helped out a gentleman from the Democratic Republic of Congo (he insisted that everyone calls it the "DRC"), who had come to the United States a few years ago after a 26 year long career as a French teacher back in the DRC. We went over basic keyboarding and word processing skills, how to search the Internet for music, and good practices in keeping passwords safe.

At the end of the class, he was very grateful and found the class quite interesting, and he even wished that the session was a bit longer. He asked me specifically if he could use the Internet for studying for the US citizenship test, and was especially glad when I showed him how to do so. He told me he has a son in high school who is quite savvy with technology, and now that he was going to have a desktop computer of his own he could become more familiar with using computers, improve his English, and have his son help him at home on his own system instead of having to share.

Although it's been said many times before, experiences like these are always good to bring into perspective how many people from different backgrounds don't have such luxuries or privileges that we and others in our community take for granted growing up. It also puts into perspective how our environments or careers have a large effect on our technical and academic skills - even though I was the teacher and he was the student in the context of computers and technology, the fact he taught French for almost as long as I've been alive meant that he probably knows as much French and is as proficient in it as I am with computers.

I'm glad I got to attend the computer skills class , and I found it a fulfilling experience. I'll still be mostly at the warehouse working on refurbishing systems on the weekends, but I am planning on going to at least one more class before 361S is over. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CST 300 - Week 4

Educational Goals My current educational goals are to finish my bachelor's degree in computer science while also gaining a deep understanding of the fundamentals along the way. I have always believed that a solid understanding of the fundamentals goes a long way in any skill since you always refer back to them. When I have gotten stuck on a problem or some skill in the past, I have always taken a step back, broken down things into smaller pieces and remembered my fundamentals, and doing so has helped me through a lot of academic and professional work so far. Although I already know basic programming and data structures, I want to learn more about them and discover new ways of thinking in order to solve complex problems.  Career Goals I started a career as a full-time software test analyst about two months ago. Even though my job doesn't involve a lot of programming, getting a degree in computer science would be really helpful in all aspects of my career, such as identif

The Final Journal

It's the end of a long, four year journey, and what a journey it has been. I never thought I could pull off finishing my second bachelor's degree four years ago when I first went to that introduction to programming class at my community college. I would like to thank all the friends I've made along the way and the people who have helped me through the last two years. Although it was difficult at times taking class while working 40+ hours a week, I'm proud of myself for making it through. I don't think I'll be a student enrolled in classes anytime soon, but I'll always be a lifelong student. See you all around.

CST 499 - Week 6

This week, our group made the last touches to CONVEE, our AAC application for our capstone project, and then we proceeded to record and publish the (first) draft of our video (if it's approved, it'll be the last draft). I'm very proud of the three of us and what we have accomplished a little over eight weeks. It's been rewarding to watch our application grow from the initial planning stages to what it is now. Abby plans to take over CONVEE after capstone and expand on it further, and I'm positive she'll do great things with it in the future. I might still help out with development and other related stuff once in a while. I also took the ETS Computer Science Field Test, which was a very disappointing experience. First, the test is too wide in scope, and it is littered with questions about specific niche topics not always taught in classes. Second, setting up the testing application was slow and awkward, and I had to wait 30 minutes for the proctor to set everythi